Reported by Jean-Philippe Fleury, Nov 23, 2011
Some HTML entities added to French translation are displayed literally. Example 1: go to: http://projects.ceondo.com/p/indefero/issues/watchlist/open "h1" title will be displayed as the following: <h1 class="title" id="title">Liste de surveillance&nbsp;: Tickets ouverts pour Indefero</h1> It seems that special characters are converted before displaying. Example 2: another example is the content of the "title" tag: <title>Ticket 736&nbsp;: Possibility to edit existing issue comments - Issue tracking, code review, source browser for git, mercurial, subversion and monotone.</title> In example 2, it's normal because HTML is not interpreted in "title" tag, but as translators, we don't know context of strings we're translating. Possibilities to solve the problem: * Identify where HTML entities should be displayed (example 1) but are not, and fixes the bug. Then, identify where HTML entities are used but should not (example 2, plain text e-mails...) and fixes the translation. * Just remove all HTML entities from translation.
Comment 1 by Thomas Keller, Nov 29, 2011
Ah, there it bites us! Well, I still don't know exactly who did these changes, but I remember the mail from you from November 1st very well where you told me that its quite common to do these kind of things. Problem is now that IDF escapes template contents everywhere (which is a good thing), so to "unescape" these things I'd have to modify the code to actually put unsafe contents into the templates. I'd really rather go on and remove all the s again from the code, but then the colon line breaking will be as bad as it was before...
Comment 2 by Jean-Philippe Fleury, Nov 29, 2011
I removed all HTML entities in the French translation on Transifex. There will be no line breaking problem anymore because I replaced for example " :" with ":". Also, I attach a patch that removes HTML entities present in original English strings.
Comment 3 by Thomas Keller, Nov 30, 2011
Applied in revision bfc5689. Thanks!